- Age-Dependent Patellofemoral Pain: Hip and Knee Risk Landing Profiles in Prepubescent and Postpubescent Female Athletes.
Galloway RT, Xu Y, Hewett TE, et al.
Am J Sports Med. 2018;46(11):2761-2771.
- The Tibial Tubercle-Trochlear Groove Distance Is Greater in Patients With Patellofemoral Pain: Implications for the Origin of Pain and Clinical Interventions.
Carlson VR, Boden BP, Shen A, Jackson JN, Yao L, Sheehan FT.
Am J Sports Med. 2017;45(5):1110-1116.
- 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures. Crossley KM, Stefanik JJ, Selfe J, et al.
Br J Sports Med. 2016;50(14):839-843.
- Increased medial foot loading during drop jump in subjects with patellofemoral pain. Rathleff MS, Richter C, Brushoj C, et al.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014;22(10):2301-2307.
- Factors associated with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a systematic review.
Lankhorst NE, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, van Middelkoop M.
Br J Sports Med. 2012 Jul 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Decreased pulsatile blood flow in the patella in patellofemoral pain syndrome.
Näslund J, Waldén M, Lindberg LG.
Am J Sports Med. 2007 Oct;35(10):1668-73. Epub 2007 Jun 13.
- Quantitative analysis of nerve changes in the lateral retinaculum in patients with isolated symptomatic patellofemoral malalignment. A preliminary study.
Sanchis-Alfonso V, Roselló-Sastre E, Monteagudo-Castro C, Esquerdo J.
Am J Sports Med. 1998 Sep-Oct;26(5):703-9.
- Histologic evidence of retinacular nerve injury associated with patellofemoral malalignment
Fulkerson JP, Tennant R, Jaivin JS, et al.
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1985 (197), 196-205.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Is Knee Pain During Adolescence a Self-limiting Condition? Prognosis of Patellofemoral Pain and Other Types of Knee Pain.
Rathleff MS, Rathleff CR, Olesen JL, Rasmussen S, Roos EM.
Am J Sports Med. 2016 Jan 20. pii: 0363546515622456. [Epub ahead of print]
2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 2: recommended physical interventions (exercise, taping, bracing, foot orthoses and combined interventions).
Crossley KM, van Middelkoop M, Callaghan MJ, Collins NJ, Rathleff MS, Barton CJ.
Br J Sports Med. 2016;50(14):844-852.
Factors that predict a poor outcome 5-8 years after the diagnosis of patellofemoral pain: a multicentre observational analysis.
Lankhorst NE, van Middelkoop M, Crossley KM, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Oei EH, Vicenzino B, Collins NJ.
Br J Sports Med. 2015 Oct 13. pii: bjsports-2015-094664. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2015-094664.
Hip posterolateral musculature strengthening in sedentary women with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized controlled clinical trial with 1-year follow-up.
Fukuda TY, Melo WP, Zaffalon BM, Rossetto FM, Magalhães E, Bryk FF, Martin RL.
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012 Oct;42(10):823-30.
Hip strengthening prior to functional exercises reduces pain sooner than quadriceps strengthening in females with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.
Dolak KL, Silkman C, Medina McKeon J, Hosey RG, Lattermann C, Uhl TL.
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011 Aug;41(8):560-70. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2011.3499. Epub 2011 Jun 7.
Immediate effect and predictors of effectiveness of taping for patellofemoral pain syndrome: a prospective cohort study.
Lan TY, Lin WP, Jiang CC, Chiang H.
Am J Sports Med. 2010 Aug;38(8):1626-30. Epub 2010 May 26.
Diagnosis and treatment of patients with patellofemoral pain.
Am J Sports Med. 2002 May-Jun;30(3):447-56. Review.
Resection of clinically localized segments of painful retinaculum in the treatment of selected patients with anterior knee pain.
Kasim N, & Fulkerson JP.
American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2000, 28(6), 811-814.